[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Nobel Prize Winner to Use Prize Money to Help the Poor

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nobel Prize Winner to Use Prize Money to Help the Poor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:46 am 
Lady Scryer

Quote:
Nobel winner to use prize to help poor
POSTED: 5:24 p.m. EDT, October 13, 2006
Adjust font size:
DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) -- Bangladeshi Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus on Friday called the award "great news" for his homeland, where his microcredit finance programs have helped improve the lives of millions of poor people.

Yunus and the Grameen Bank he founded won the award for advancing economic and social opportunities for the poor, especially women, through their pioneering microcredit work.

The 65-year-old economist said he would use part of his share of the 10 million kronor ($1.4 million) award money to create a company that would make low-cost, high-nutrition food for the poor. The rest of his share would go toward setting up an eye hospital for the poor in Bangladesh, he told reporters. (Bankers to poor win peace Nobel)

The food company, to be known as Social Business Enterprise, will sell food for a nominal price and be a "no loss, no dividend" firm, he said, without elaborating.

Yunus is the first Nobel Peace Prize winner from Bangladesh, a poverty-stricken nation of about 141 million people located on the Bay on Bengal.

"I am so so happy, it's really a great news for the whole nation," Yunus told The Associated Press when reached by telephone at his Dhaka home shortly after the prize was announced.

"This award will encourage me further to dedicate myself to improving the lives of the poor," Yunus said later in comments to reporters. "It will be a great source of inspiration for me in my days ahead."

Mobbed by admirers and his staff, a smiling Yunus said, "There is a link between peace and poverty."

One of his aides, Dipal Barua, said the award was an "honor for millions of poor women who have made this possible, it's a great achievement. It's a marvelous recognition."

Bangladesh Prime Minister Khaleda Zia congratulated Yunus and said he had "brought great honor for his country."

Yunus' Grameen Bank was the first lender to hand out microcredit, giving very small loans to poor Bangladeshis, most of them women, who did not qualify for loans from conventional banks. No collateral is needed and repayment is based on an honor system. (Watch how microcredit creates self-sufficiency -- 2:33 )

Loans average about $200 and go toward buying items such as cows to start a dairy, chickens for an egg business, or cell phones to start businesses where villagers who have no access to phones pay a small fee to make calls.

According to the bank, interest ranges from zero percent for loans to beggars to 5 percent for student loans, 8 percent for home loans and 20 percent for loans to businesses that generate income.

Anyone can qualify for a loan, but recipients are put in groups of five and once two members of the group have borrowed money, the other three must wait for the funds to be repaid before they get a loan.

Grameen, which means rural in the Bengali language, says the method encourages social responsibility. The results are hard to argue with -- the bank says it has a 99 percent repayment rate.

The Bangladeshi government owns 6 percent of the bank, while Grameen's customers own the rest.

Since Yunus gave out his first loans in 1974, microcredit schemes have spread throughout the developing world and are now considered a key approach to alleviating poverty and spurring development.

Yunus told The Associated Press in a 2004 interview that his "eureka moment" came while chatting to a shy woman weaving bamboo stools with calloused fingers.

Sufia Begum was a 21-year-old villager and a mother of three when the economics professor met her in 1974 and asked her how much she earned. She replied that she borrowed 5 taka (about $0.09) from a middleman for the bamboo for each stool.

All but $0.02 cents of that went back to the lender.

"I thought to myself, my God, for five takas she has become a slave," Yunus said in the interview.

"I couldn't understand how she could be so poor when she was making such beautiful things," he said.

The following day, he and his students did a survey in the woman's village, Jobra, and discovered that 43 of the villagers owed a total of 856 taka (about $27).

"I couldn't take it anymore. I put the $27 out there and told them they could liberate themselves," he said, and pay him back whenever they could. The idea was to buy their own materials and cut out the middleman.

They all paid him back, day by day, over a year, and his momentary generosity grew into a full-fledged concept that came to fruition in 1976 when he began to set up experimental microfinance projects in rural parts of Bangladesh. Grameen Bank was formally founded in 1983.

In the year's since, the bank says it has loaned 290.03 billion taka ($5.72 billion) to more than 6 million Bangladeshis.

Worldwide, microcredit financing is estimated to have helped some 17 million people.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Nobel Prize Winner to Use Prize Money to Help the Poor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:42 am 
The UnTitled

Great article Duchess, thanks. I saw that they'd won, but it's nice to see that they're going to do even more good with what they won.

Similar micro-lending schemes are doing well here in SA.

And according to the statistics, if the loan is given to women, there is a 99% repayment rate. In fact, most schemes target the women, because they recognise that the drive to improvement in these impoverished communities is strongest in him.

Apparently, for every Rand that is given to a woman, roughtly 80 cents of it go direvtly to the family, incomparison to only 40 or so cents of every one given to a man.

Interesting huh?

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have heard many wonderful things about microbanking - it might be the one truly hopeful thing I have heard about helping the poor in many countries. Throwing millions/billions of dollars to governments usually leads to nothing but more corruption - lending a tiny amount of money to individual women so they can start a tiny business and support their families - now that works, and works very well from what I have learned! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:07 am 
The UnTitled

Agreed. Vast quantities of foreign aid just make corrupt politicians richer.

Help must be applied where it's needed. And that way, it goes so much further.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>