Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: It's all the same
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:11 am 
The UnTitled

You know, I was just looking for something to make a topic about, and I realised, it's all the same. Corruption here, terror there, human rights abuses everywhere, it's like a tide. A huge tide of human nature that we swim frantically against.

Because what difference does it make? The rich and powerful get richer and more powerful. The voices crying out...who the hell are they crying out to?

Now usually, I feel that we should work at changing what we can. But sometimes I wonder why we bother.

We sit and complain, and the world keeps right on. I mean, I know things are much better in many places right now than they ever have been, sure. But will there ever be a time when it is good everywhere?

Things go in cycles, and I gotta say, I think things look a little bleak for the guys who are supposed to be the example to the poor downtrodden masses, you know?

Ah well, I just typed this for something to say really. The news was all the same, the issues are all the same, it's like we don't really learn. Maybe society is a mistake.

Days like this, I wanna just blow it all up and start again. Maybe with amoeba's. I'm starting to think opposable thumbs were a design flaw.

Anyway, just felt like a little ramble I guess. The incredible stupidity of humanity as a collective never ceases to amaze me. We evolved too quick or not quick enough. I can't decide.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

Post subject: Re: It's all the same
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:10 pm 
Master Pilot

My question is: what can we do or do they have us by the balls? This link is over a year old but very interesting (or depressing, in that regard.)seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002228040_sundaygoodman03.html

Regarding your sentiments, Av, I too have many days like this--these lyrics often come to mind then:
Quote:BLOW UP THE OUTSIDE WORLD - Soundgarden (Cornell)
Nothing seems to kill me no matter how hard I try
Nothing is closing my eyes
Nothing can beat me down for your pain or delight
And nothing seems to break me
No matter how hard I fall nothing can break me at all
Not one for giving up though not invincible I know

I've givin' everything I need
I'd give you everything I own
I'd give in if it could at least be ours alone
I've given everything I could
To blow it to hell and gone
Burrow down in and
Blow up the outside world

Someone tried to tell me something
Don't let the world bring you down
Nothing will do me in before I do myself
So save it for your own and the ones you can help

Want to make it understood
Wanting though I never would
Trying though I know it's wrong
Blowing it to hell and gone
Wishing though I never could
Blow up the outside world *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 9/5/06 9:33 pm
</i>

Post subject: it's NOT all the same ;-)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:20 am 
Lady Scryer

I was born in the mid 1960's, at a time of serious societal unrest in America. Some major civil rights legislation was passed the year I was born...just in my lifetime, things have gotten so much better for people!

My father was born in a log cabin without running water or electricty. One of his baby brothers died during the Great Depression because the family did not have enough to eat. And even though his father had died, leaving behind a young widow and 16 kids, there were no social services or social security to help that family out.

Think of how much better things have gotten since then. Yes, it sucks to be poor - but with food stamps, social security to make payments for the kids until they turn 18, etc. - that little boy would never have died from hunger today.

My father was born in the segregated South. When he served in the military in WW2, even that was segregated, though it would not be long before Truman corrected that injustice.

At the time of my grandparents, hundreds of people died in West Virginia's coal mines in accidents. Others (if not all) were regularly exposed to things which would make them horribly ill in the mines. It still sucks to be a miner - but when someone dies or is trapped in a mine these days it is a rare tragedy that makes headlines. And they have equipment to help protect their lungs now.

In the time of my greatgrandfathers, the Civil War raged through the mountains of the American South. People starved. Others seized opportunity in the turmoil to commit crimes. One of my ancestors was shot down in the middle of the road by an armed gang. One of my greatgrandfather's brothers died in a Union prison camp at age 14. Yes - even "men" we would consider children served in those armies. And we won't even address slavery, and how evil it was. Blacks, Chinese, Irish, and women wre all rampantly discriminated against (among other groups).

All of this change - in just four generations.

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: it's NOT all the same ;-)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:35 am 
The UnTitled

Yes, all that change in one country. That's sorta my point...while it gets better in some places, it gets worse in others.

Can we keep it good in one country while making it better in others?

Millions of people still live without electricity or running water, millions die of hunger, wars rage, crimes are committed. It's great that things have improved there so much. But just a few countries isn't enough.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>