Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Can this be explained
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Cail,
IOW, you agree with my friend on both points, 1)that Bill Clinton's denial of earpiercing and parental consent issue are exhibition of a personal contradiction and possibly a personal hypocrisy, and 2)since I'm not a parent I JUST do not get it. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:13 am 
The UnTitled

I don't think you have to be a parent to get that. I'm certainly not, but Cail's summary makes perfect sense to me. (And it has nothing to do with Catholicism either.)

Purely logically, the contradiction is obvious...you can't get your ears pierced without my permission, but you can get an abortion without my permission. Forget who said it or why, but doesn't that statement sound a little inconsistant?

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:54 am 
Pilot

Exactly Av. It's a huge contradiction. Your child can't have breast augmentation or a liver transplant without parental consent either, so why is there an exception for abortion. And again, I don't care if it was Bill Clinton, George Bush, or Ross Perot who said it, it's inconsistant.

And as far as not being a parent......

Look, I'm not throwing stones here at all, but my outlook on life and my beliefs changed drastically when my wife got pregnant. I'd imagine that's not uncommon.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:17 am 
The UnTitled

Of course, the solution is obvious. Remove the parental consent requirement for anything of that nature.

Of course having a child changes your outlook. It gives you a very different priority. It's meant to.

But I hope that, if I do ever have children, I remain aware of the difference between what I think is right, and what I think should be done out of a desire to protect my child.

(Oh, for what it's worth, I'm in favour of parental notification, but I'd want a system in place for cases in which it was unadvisable for the safety of the child too.)

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:44 pm 
Master Pilot

Cail,
do you want to address Syl's point that there is a difference between public policy and personal/family decisions? A difference that becomes obvious in the case of Catholic politicians, or to use a personal example my friend mentioned in the first message (she being an active Catholic and yet having a surgical procedure the Church officially disapproves of (I don't know but would having the procedure be a venal sin?)). Syl's examples of requiring his childern to have the full panoply of protective gear for rollerbladding, but not necessarily supporting a law requiring all rollerbladers to have the same protective set-up. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:39 am 
The UnTitled

I dunno...Syl's example sounds perfectly reasonable. I can see how you would want things for your child that you wouldn't want to make compulsory for everybody.

(That was sorta what I meant about seeing the difference between what I wanted in terms of my child's protection and what was right.)

It's an acceptable inconsistency from that point of view. But it's still inconsistent.

Perhaps the real question is whether anybody, even the president, has the right to enforce what they think is right on everybody.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:06 am 
Pilot

Would anyone care to address my point that any other surgical procedure requires parental notification so why shouldn't abortion?

There's a big difference between rollerblading and surgery.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:41 pm 
Master Pilot

...and now the 'Morning After' pill has just been legalized-that's spice things up even more. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:29 am 
Lady Scryer

Wasn't that only legalized for over the counter use by legal adults, though? I believe that anyone under the age of 18 has to have a doctor's prescription to get Plan B? ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>