Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pat Robertson Urges Murder
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:29 pm 
Pilot

My jaw dropped when I saw this. Okay, Pat Robertson and his ilk are evil, but I suppose there is something still innocent in me that this kind of thing still shocks...
Quote:WASHINGTON (AFP) - US religious broadcaster Pat Robertson urged the United States to assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, whom he called a "dangerous enemy," in an episode of his television show "The 700 Club."

"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson, 75, said in a live broadcast Monday from Christian Broadcasting Network headquarters in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Robertson's incendiary comment came at the close of a long report by his CBN news team on Chavez's anti-US rhetoric and growing links to both President
Fidel Castro's Communist Cuba and Arab nations.

The television preacher and former presidential candidate expressed regret that during a brief and failed civilian-military coup against Chavez in April 2002 the United States did nothing to help topple the populist leader.

Since then, Robertson said, Chavez "has destroyed the Venezuelan economy, and he's going to make that a launching pad for Communist infiltration and Muslim extremism all over the continent," he said.

Eliminating Chavez -- whom he referred to as "a terrific danger" -- would be "a whole lot cheaper than starting a war," Robertson declared.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," he said. "We don't need another 200-billion-dollar war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Pat Robertson Urges Murder
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm 
Lady Scryer

Far right wingnuts like Robertson pervert Christianity (a religion based on love and tolerance) into a disgusting personality cult sort of thing, where they can get lots of attention and power over their followers.

After having the "Minister" Fred Phelps, of God Hates Gays fame pointed out to me, nothing these jerks say or do surprises me anymore, no matter how twisted.

Religious radicals are one of the biggest problems of humanity right now, espeically when you throw in the Islamic Jihadists. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>