Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ralph Nader announced today
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:09 am 
Master Pilot

Ralph Nader announced earlier today, Feb 22, 2004, he will again run for the Presidency. Anyone here have any thoughts? Anyone think it's important? Anyone think it's a non-event? Today I heard several callers to talk radio shows, call Mr. Nader a "loony" and not in a nice way. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Ralph Nader announced today
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:35 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, you can see why the Democrats wouldn't be very happy about it, but I think realistically he won't be much of a factor in this election. For one thing, he's going to have trouble getting on ballots since he's not running as a Green this time.

He's maybe just a wee bit "loony", but I still admire the guy. Heck, I even voted for him last time! But then I live in a state which has never in it's history been "in play", so I can afford to use my vote as a pro-alternative (3rd party/independent) statement.

To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice ...<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:46 pm 
Master Pilot

Hmmm, I may have spoken too soon about Nader not being a factor. He's pulling six percent in an Associated Press poll. That seems like a lot. ******************

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:57 am 
Master Pilot

^5, Alph. I voted for him last time, too. I'm conflicted this time, though. On one hand, all my principles tell me to go with Nader and that my one vote will not change the election. On the other hand, I really want to get rid of Bush, and I know Nader has no chance at winning the election (but it's just that kind of attitude that perpetuates the "lesser of two evils" pattern... arg). ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:45 pm 
Master Pilot

By entering the race, he's basically assuring Bush the victory. Further up, and further in!

"I'd gladly lose me to find you"- The Who

"There are three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Homer Simpson way."<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:35 am 
Master Pilot

Strange. I read that Nader is meeting with Kerry to discuss strategies for defeating Bush ... but he still intends to run. Calls it a "second front". Not sure how that would work.

At any rate, I'm retracting my claim of admiration for Nader. I think the only politician I ever really admired in my lifetime was Warren Rudman. ******************