Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: I have found a little slice of hell on earth...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:23 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yesterday I found a little slice of hell on earth...
On Monday night when I was at work my kids accidentally let our dog out and he took off like a bat out of you know where! So on Tuesday I got to run up to the local animal shelter to see if he was up there.
When I got to the door of the first of several dog rooms I made the mistake of calling out softly "Mr. Max, are you here?" Every dog in every little cell started rearing up and shrieking and/or whimpering.
They had so many lovely, friendly dogs. One cell had two brothers that they had named Toast and Butter because they went along so well together. There was a precious three month old black lab puppy who licked my fingers and whimpered at me. He reminded me of my dog when he was a baby.
Anyway, this went on for room after room - dogs, cats, bunnies -- all of them the nicest and prettiest animals you can imagine! All of them desperate to be my Mr. Max! And all of them under a death sentence if they are not adopted by their deadlines.
When I got out of there I sat in my car for the longest time, sobbing. And they didn't even have my doggy, either.
So please, folks, please spay and neuter your pets. Don't let any more animals end up in a place like that!!! "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

Post subject: Re: I have found a little slice of hell on earth...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:46 am 
Master Pilot

That is sad...didnt realize animal shelters were such hellholes! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: I have found a little slice of hell on earth...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:53 am 
Master Pilot

My collie dog girlies r woofing like heck outside--and that's the most beautiful sound I've ever heard--I am sending tremendously good vibes in ur and Max's general direction, duchess--ur post made me almost cry 3 times--and with the passing of my great Dad in Law, yesterday--I'm still trying not 2...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/12/02 6:29:02 pm
</i>

Post subject: Danlo...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:28 am 
Lady Scryer

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. and here I am whining about a dog...
My mom passed last spring. When we went down to visit my dad over Thankgiving we would go into a store or whatever and someone would say "We were here last spring." and I would have literally no memory of that place. I think maybe that was my way of coping, just being very numb.
It does get better with time...hang in there... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Danlo...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:19 am 
Master Pilot

when they reach the otherside our loved ones face a greater adventure than we have ever known>>>!!!!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:42 am 
Master Pilot

condolences danlo! ::hugz::

yah a great adventure awaits them and they're not alone there's plenty of mates to share it with eh? health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:44 am 
Master Pilot

send my love to L .. and give her a hug from me .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

Indeed, lots of hugs and cookies for both of you. "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

Post subject: new-ish pets
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:47 pm 
Master Pilot

i've always recommended that if you're going to get a new pet, get him from a shelter. every dog i've ever had was either abandoned or from a shelter. they're cheaper, they really need the homes, they keep the demand for pets down (less unwanted pets from the stores... everybody wants a puppy, but few people will buy a dog that's a year old), and most importantly, they'll love the hell out of you.

sadly, i'm moving to Sicily in March and I have to leave my two ferrets here. my wife and I have found a couple good shelters, but it still breaks our hearts. <i></i>

Post subject: LothlorienGoldberry 12-24-91/1-25-03
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:59 pm 
Master Pilot

We had 2 put the gorqeous tri-collar collie baby, LothlorienGoldberry 2 sleep about a week ago, and I've tryed 2 b really strong 4 the rest of the furry family. Tamara is putting 2gether a tribute scrapbook 4 Lor right now--I guess I've looked at so many photos and had so many great memories, over the past 12 years, come flooding back so hard that the tears are flooding my keyboard! I love u so girlie! U were the bestest, smartest, silliest pup ever! U inspire me baby-dog! We shall b stronger 4 knowing u! I even miss ur sweet jaws trying 2 take my wrist off when u were pissed. We need 2 get a new sister 4 Jamacia (who is giving me kisses right now! ) next week, so it's off 2 the pound! YEA!!! Lori-chow, the Scottish dog! What a beauty, what a baby! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/2/03 5:03:37 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: LothlorienGoldberry 12-24-91/1-25-03
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:05 am 
Lady Scryer

I am so sorry to hear this Danlo! My condolences! That must be so hard, to lose your baby dog so soon after your father-in-law. : cry Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Shelter animals and abonded animals
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:15 pm 
Master Pilot

Duchess, agreeing with your thoughts about shelters. Magaret Cho, the comedienne, does a funny and pointedly direct routine about going to a shelter and getting a pet. Her routine says basically what you say, any time anyone enters the kennels the animals do what they know best to try to get your attention, as if you knowing you're their hope for a better life.

A group I have donated to for almost twenty years is D.E.L.T.A. (Dedication and Everlasting Love for Animals) run by Mr. Leo Grillo. Mr. Grillo has been featured in many specials on TV including a National Geographic documentary. Leo specifically rescues animals (dogs and cats) that have been abdonded in the National Forests, and other undeveloped areas, around the Los Angeles area, and after his rescue he houses the animals in his privately run and funded care-for-life shelter. He sometimes adopts out rescued animals, but only after adopters pass his vigorous scrutiny and rigourous criteria. This man is doing wonderful work. Almost all the animals he rescues from the "wilderness" have previously been someones pet and companion. Many Leo finds by the side of highways and expressways, the animals waiting for their humans to come for them not understanding how they could be abdonded.

Sorry for bringing this topic to the front after being dormant for some time. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 3/15/04 2:16 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Shelter animals and abonded animals
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:24 am 
Lady Scryer

I think God will have a special place set aside for people like your Leo... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>