Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Political commentary by Orson Scott Card
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:59 pm 
Master Pilot

An interesting opinion piece by the author of Ender's Game:

www.opinionjournal.com/ex...=110004435 <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Political commentary by Orson Scott Card
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

Seems like he's quite a supporter of the War in Iraq... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:51 pm 
Master Pilot

Not mincing any words, is he. Audentes fortuna iuvat!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:19 pm 
Master Pilot

OSC for President! ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:11 pm 
Pilot

But there are two sides to every coin.

OSC was and is one of my fav authors. He has opinions, is not afraid to say them, but does so with intelligence and style.

However, he is completely opposed to gay couples having the same rights/standing as hetero couples. I do not agree.

I doubt I could back him for Pres. but I COUNT on him to keep writing! <i></i>

Post subject: fdsaafsafs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:16 pm 
Pilot

"Osama bin Laden's military strategy is: If you make a war cost enough, Americans will give up and go home. Now, bin Laden isn't actually all that bright; his campaign to make us go home is in fact what brought us into Afghanistan and Iraq. But he's still telling his followers: Keep killing Americans and eventually, antigovernment factions within the United States will choose to give up the struggle."

Well he's right on that point: terrorists bomb Spain, Spain elects left wing government, Spain calls troops in Iraq home.

Perfect example of a successful terrorist action affecting the course of a democratic system to the terrorists advantage/goal.

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: fdsaafsafs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Yep, gotta agree with the General here. Europe is now a ball that can be kicked in any direction. ******************

To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice ...<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:31 pm 
Pilot

It does set a bad precedent, but bear 2 factors in mind: the vast majority of Spaniards were against the Iraq war in the first place, and it was only the political establishment that supported it. Secondly, it seems that the outgoing Spanish government cut its own throat by prematurely trying to say it was definitely Eta, thus trying to shift any blame away from itself, and it was that attempt to shift blame that has made the Spanish electorate so angry <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:49 pm 
Master Pilot

Well if you go with that rational, England is the next target in undermining US allies...that's not a com4ting thought... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:54 pm 
Pilot

Tell me about it, I live in London. I was wondering if al-Qaida are going to try to disrupt our election when it happens in the next year, or whether they'll bother to wait that long <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:45 pm 
Master Pilot

I am sure you are all (maybe not all) going to think I am extra stupid for this question.

Regardless of the apparent coincidence of the bombing is Spain, but why would Bin Landen and his cronies give a ROUS red behind which party wins either the Spainish election or the British election or even the US election? (BTW, the only reason Bin Laden might have any interest in the US election would be as kinda vicarious revenge, Bin Laden might say "attack me lose the election you stupid European descent man") Bin Laden is a declared enemy of all non-Islamist and to some extent Western culture and values in general. Seemingly, he believes all Western culture is decadent, impure and corrupt. AFAIK, he presents himself as a puritan reformer to purge by the fire of holy war (Jihad, one might say) those decadent and corrupt practices and beliefs.

Therefore, IMO he was an enemy of the past Spainish regime and will be an enemy to the present regime, too. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:32 pm 
Pilot

Tarawizard, I believe the reason why the Spanish government was targeted was that it supported America in invading Iraq while 90% of the Spanish population (including the present Spanish government) was against it.

And when I say al-Qaida I mean Islamic fundamentalist terrorist. There are many groups not formally linked but sharing the same broad set of beliefs and agenda, so you're right in thinking that Bin Laden himself probably didn't order anything. <i></i>