Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: This is a serious question?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:26 am 
Master Pilot

Ok, this is a question about police procedure and why police might try to be more professional. One instance is AFAIK, true to life and another relates to fictional circumstances. OK, in 1994 Teena Brandon (Brandon Teena), the RL person killed in Nebraska and the story was made into the movie Boys don't cry. Was raped and according to to what I understand when she was interviewed after her rape, the police asked IMO a lot of questions about Teena's outward behavior, for example: why did she dress like a guy, why did she go around kissing girls, and so on? Really, none of these questions, undoubtedly interesting to the police, had really any bearing on her case of rape.

Fictional case. forget it it sounds stupid now taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: This is a serious question?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:44 am 
Master Pilot

No, no, no. Good topic. I imagine this case might have lead to a lot of the rape shield laws which were designed to keep the victim from being put on trial for their behaviour. Bascially saying that just because a woman dresses a certain way or acts a certain way doesn't mean it's her fault, and the defense has no right to bring up these topics in order to reduce her credibility in court. It would be great if all judges would follow those guidelines where they exist, but I've read way too many news articles where they don't.

It kind of reminds me of the reverse of a case in California. A jury convicted a man of a federal crime for growing large amounts of marijuana to sell. However, the judge forbid the defense from stating that this was legal (and if I understand it, endorsed) by the State of California. After the trial, the jurors found out about the California law and were very angry that it wasn't mentioned in the trial, saying they would not have voted guilty. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>