[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Spielbergs Munich

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spielbergs Munich
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:58 pm 
Master Pilot

In just a little while the Spielberg movie Munich will be in the theaters. Now, the prelimnary buzz is that this movie is controversial; however, this is not the first movie treatment of the Mossad special assignment 'wet works' squad to eliminate the 1972 Olympic terrorists. In 1986, the movie Sword of Gideon starring Rod Steiger and Steve Bauer was about the same thing.

I thought this forum was better place for this message than the Manifold. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Spielbergs Munich
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:56 am 
Lady Scryer

My hub and I watched this movie tonight.

Brilliant movie, but depressing as hell.

Showed what fighting terrorists by using terrorist type tactics can do to otherwise decent people.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:05 am 
The UnTitled

But how dramatised is it? That's a major problem for me with these "based on a true story" movies. Based.

Anyway, I saw a fantatsic documentary about the Munich Olympics which was really good.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:14 am 
Lady Scryer

I honestly do not know how closely it is based on what really happened (especially since so much of it deals in top secret activities on the parts of the Mosad and of French crime families and the murky world of assassinations and assassins).

But the message is very powerful - when you act in the same way as a terrorist, it harms you. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:36 am 
The UnTitled

That message I'll certainly agree with.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:25 pm 
Master Pilot

Against my best judgement and instincts, I'm replying here. AFAIK, both movies Sword of Gideon and Munich are closely based on the memoir of a man who now lives in NY and works a 'security consultant'. Who claims this is his real life. FWIW, the movies adhere very closely to his memoir, since according to what I've heard about Munich most of its scenes match those from Sword of Gideon. And his memoirs theme is that using babaric practices to fight barbarians makes one a barbarian, too.

However, all official sources disavow that ever were such 'special operations' team. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:31 am 
The UnTitled

Why against your best judgement? :

Anyway, thanks. Will have a look for the book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:11 am 
Lady Scryer

That was interesting information, Taras. And thanks for sharing it.

dlbpharmd also mentioned that other movie when he said he did not care very much for Munich ~ he said that they were very similar.

I have not seen (or until recently even heard of) the other film, so did not have that problem. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Duchess wrote Quote:I have not seen (or until recently even heard of) the other film, so did not have that problem. Sword of Gideon was never a well known movie, I don't know if it was ever in theatrical release, I suspect that it was not. I saw it on premium cable when I first moved to the Chicago area when I moved here in 1992.

Repeating, my previous post the memoir on which both movies are based has been officially dismissed and held to be meritless by all OFFICIAL sources. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:05 am 
The UnTitled

And we all know how honest they are.