Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Top Ten Fantasy Books
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:39 pm 
Master Pilot

Since I did this in the sci-fi section, I thought I'd do the same here (in no particular order):
1. Thomas Covenant Chronicles
2. Lord of the Rings
3. Mary Stewart's Merlin books
4. Watership Down
5. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of N.I.M.H.
6. Princess Bride
7. Layhawke
8. Quest for the Faradawn
9. The Dragon and the George
10. The Unlikely Ones

So what are yours? Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Top Ten Fantasy Books
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 1:54 am 
Master Pilot

N.I.H.M was great, boy where 2 start--well that's easy, @least #1 and 2 are:
1. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant 1 & 2
2. The Lord of the Rings
3. The Silmarillion
4. The Earthsea Series
5. The Nightland (kinda both SF & Fantasy, hard 2 tell)
6. The A Song of Ice and Fire Series
7. The Worm Oroborus Series
8. The Chronicles of Narnia
9. The Amber Series
10. Illuminatus! Series (is it SF is it Fantasy or is it REAL!?) Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/15/02 8:21:45 am
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:22 pm 
Master Pilot

Man, I forgot about the Narnia series! Tremendous set of books! Thanks for reminding me, Danlo! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:39 pm 
Pilot

Very very difficult - here goes, certainly in order - after thinking long and hard.

1. Thomas Covenant Chronicles 2nd and 1st.
2. Nine Princes in Amber (Amber Chronicles) Roger Zelazny.
3. Songs Of Ice and Fire, GRR Martin.
4. Elric of Melnibone etc., M.Morecock.
5. Waylander, David Gemmell.
6. Darkness Weaves (Kane books) Karl Edward Wagner.
7. Split Infinity, Blue Adept, Juxtaposition, Piers Anthony.
8. Jack of Shadows, Roger Zelazny.
9. The Summer Tree triolgy, Guy Gavriel Kay
10 Legend, David Gemmell. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:05 pm 
Pilot

Piers Anthony makes me nuts -- sorry, PofA....

Well, hey, the top 6 spaces on my top 10 list are taken by SRD...but since y'all are lumping 'em all together, that makes it tougher. Dunno if I'll get to 10, then, but here goes:

1. Chronicles of Thomas Covenant 1
2. Chronicles of Thomas Covenant 2 (I split 'em into 2 listings, so sue me!)
3. Mordant's Need
4. Lord of the Rings
5. The Hobbit
Okay, now it gets tougher. The rest aren't in any particular order:
The Shannara books (I expect to be bashed for this...)
The Pern books (I know I put 'em in as sci-fi on another thread, but the early Pern books were pretty much pure fantasy)
"In Watermelon Sugar" by Richard Brautigan (I dunno what, exactly, to call this book, category-wise. Fantasy will do for a start...)
"Dracula"
Pretty much anything by Edgar Allan Poe, but my favorite short story is "The Masque of the Red Death" <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:49 am 
Pilot

Sorry - Piers Anthony makes me nuts as well, good job I didn't put any of the Xanth books in my top ten. I was very young when I read the Split Infinity books, and they were the first fantasy I ever read, I wasn't interested in reading at all before that. My dad tells me that the one outstanding memory he has of me growing up is me laid on the sofa with my face in a book, in a way I owe it all to those awful stories of Robots and magicians. Actually when I think about it they are probably more Sci-Fi than fantasy. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:02 pm 
Master Pilot

I kinda liked The Blue Adept, however I had the misfortune 2 read Orn--very, very bad & confusing book! I should also recommend The Dream Quest of the Unknown Kaddath, as I did in Cthulhu's Corner, by H.P. Lovecraft--it's scary & creepy but really should b classified as Fantasy rather than Horror. I 2 have a soft spot 4 Elric and am thinking about starting Moorcock & McCafferty threads. U guys should try some of William Morris' books: The Wood Beyond the World and The Well at the Worlds End are very far out! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/25/02 6:39:35 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:34 pm 
Pilot

Thinking about it - I did like some of the early Xanth books (the first 3) and didn't Piers Anthony write the reasonable Battle Circle books? Sos the Rope, Var the Stick etc.,
I don't think he can be forgiven for the awful books he wrote to cash in on the Xanth series but some of his work has been O.K. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 8:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Tough one - and likely to change every day but here goes. In no particular order

Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
The Silmarillion - Tolkien
Lyonesse Trilogy - Jack Vance
Fionovar Tapestry - G.G.Kay
A Song of Ice and Fire - George Martin
Tales of The Malalzan Book of The Fallen - Steven Erikson
Helliconia Trilogy - Brian Aldiss
High House - James Stoddard
Tales of Paedur The Bard Trilogy - Michael Scott
The Coming of the King - Nikolai Tolstoi
"Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 11:51 am 
Pilot

random order:

-Merlin trilogy by M. Stewart (surely you forgot that one Camlost)

-Fionavar Tapestry by Kay (earlier in this thread referred to as the Summer Tree trilogy)

-The Silmarillion

-A Song of Ice and Fire

-Farseer trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy by Hobb

-Memory, sorrow & Thorn by Tad Williams

-The Lightstone by Zindell

-Malazan book of the Fallen by Erikson

-Lord of the Rings

-Riddle-Master trilogy by Mc Killip

<i>"White the mist that rose through me, Whiter than land of your dwelling.It is your name that will bind thee,Your name is mine for the telling" </i><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 11:57 am 
Pilot

Danlo, what's Nightland about, and who wrote it?

BC, isn't Helliconia Sci-fi? <i>"White the mist that rose through me, Whiter than land of your dwelling.It is your name that will bind thee,Your name is mine for the telling" </i><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:36 pm 
Master Pilot

Cali -

I know, I know. A distinct lack of Stewart. But if I had to pick 1 Arthurian Tale, then Tolstoi's the one.

Helliconia does have Sci-Fi overtones, but its a Fantasy setting IMO. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 4:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Hard 2 say xactly what the Nightland is all about--probably as weird a book as Jacob's Ladder was a movie..and that's (projarative!) weird! There r 2 books, actually, The Nightland Vols 1 & 2 written by William Hope Hogston who I believe, but I'm not totally sure, was British and wrote in the late '30s early '40s. If u've ever read Assimov's CLASSIC novella: Nightfall--it's sorta what happens AFTER that, if u can believe it! We'r not sure if there has been a nuclear, type holocaust or not--some signs indicate that SOMETHING like this has happened, and remember this was written b4 the 1st abomb was tested. But we r sure that the sun has died and what's left of humanity lives in a huge--kinda nuclear energy powered--obsidian pyramid. The "caste system" in this society is akin 2 that in the FANTASTIC: The Inverted World, by Christopher Priest--where the higher up u live in the pyramid the more status and power u have. Anyway, b4 I start spoiling, outside the pyramid strange cosmic tides and warmths exist on Earth (that they r not aware of and can hardly detect inside the pyramid)--until (4 reasons I can't disclose) a radio-man decides 2 escape the pyramid and venture out. Of course every1 in the pyramid is convinced u'd freeze 2 death if u go out...Outside there r dimension doors, Gods walking silently on cosmic pathways, eerie aliens and so forth--then it gets even weirder--you HAVE 2 read this book--it is SO strange--stranger than Lovecraft! Other than Nightland and The Boats of The "Glen Carig" which can be very hard 2 understand in certian places Hogston didn't write much--like Hannes Bok and E.R. Eddison his works came VERY close 2 dying in obscurity! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/6/03 6:02:39 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:42 pm 
Master Pilot

Danlo -

Excellent review. As soon as I saw the Jacobs Ladder ref I was sucked in. Well there goes another 2 books on the Wish List. Bloody hell, Boards like this always attack your Bank Account. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:45 pm 
Master Pilot

In no particular order:

His Dark Materials trilogy
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Mordant's Need
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen trilogy
The Mists of Avalon and its prequels
Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy
Harry Potter
Discworld series

Oh, cool, I got ten. Guess I read more fantasy than sci-fi.

~Foamy~ <i></i>