Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What's this book about?I
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:48 pm 
Master Pilot

I was browsing thru Fantasy Finders's Top 100 and this book popped out @ me: C.S. Lewis: Till We Have Faces. Do u guys kno anything, at all, about it? Very cool title, btw...
The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:00 pm 
Master Pilot

I saw that too, Danlo. No, I dont know what it is...its not part of the Space Trilogy though. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Been ages since I read Narnia, but someone just gave me a copy of Prince Caspian so I might be able 2 pop in2 the discussions more often. All I remember from LW&W is Turkish Delight and Aslan--after 34 years it's ruff--but I restart soon! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: What's this book about?I
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:00 pm 
Master Pilot

Glad to have you aboard Danlo!

I copied this from a site...sorry forgot the addresss
C.S. Lewis' TILL WE HAVE FACES is a reinterpretation of the love stroy of Cupid and Psyche, in which
he has treated the myth as freely as Shakespeare treated Holinshed. The central character becomes an
ugly, jealously loving sister of Psyche named Orual. There are suggestions of a moral lesson about the
values of reason and instinct. In the person of Orual's Greek friend, the Fox, Mr. Lewis makes a statement
of the rational point of view. In Orual's conversion from the Grecian view to the acceptance of the miracle
lies the moral point that Mr. Lewis wisely does not press home too strongly in this beautifully told tale.

Whoa! Sounds cool, have to finish the Space Trilogy damn it. Further up, and further in!<i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 10/9/02 5:36:49 pm
</i>

Post subject: C. S. Lewis
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:33 am 
Pilot

If you're not already familiar with them, you might enjoy looking up the "Inklings", the group of friends that included Lewis, Tolkien, Williams, and a few others. When these guys met at their favorite pub to discuss their lastest works and other stuff, the collective brain power in that one room must have been staggering. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Greetings nindiri b welcome here! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

Post subject: Thanks for the welcome
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:19 pm 
Pilot

Glad to be here. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Hey! Always good to have new members! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:58 am 
Master Pilot

Here's a link 2 the Inklings and the Mythopoeic Society that Lewis and Tolkien fan's might find useful:www.tc.umn.edu/~d-lena/BirdnBab.html The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/16/02 6:59:53 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Thanks for the welcome
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Interesting...this group appears to be a forum...w/out the computer!

Danlo, hows the CoN coming? I heard you were re-reading them. The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:38 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm trying 2 read Prince Caspian and Sign of the Unicorn (4 the Zelazny forum) but Beren has done something horrible 2 me! There's some sort of evil drug that G. R. R. Martin puts in his books that makes the print on any other book read: read the next A Song of Ice and Fire book! So I have bcome insanely addicted 2 ASOIAF and am engrossed in A Clash of Kings but I swear I'll find time 2 read Caspian. The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Prince Caspians a pretty good book, not my fav though. The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

Post subject: Re: What's this book about?I
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

I just picked up Till We Have Faces. I might not get to it for awhile, must finish Neverness and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn first, but will let you guys know about it when I read it. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:09 pm 
Master Pilot

Cool! Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:23 pm 
Lady Scryer

there's a bunch of people over at ASOIAF who say it's the best thing Lewis ever wrote... Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>