[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Jim Butcher - the Dresden Files (very mild spoilers)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jim Butcher - the Dresden Files (very mild spoilers)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:30 am 
Lady Scryer

Harry Dresden is the only wizard listed in the Chicago yellow pages. As such, he gets some really strange problems thrown at him - either from his private detection agency office, or through consulting work for the Chicago police department.

He lives with a powerful (and very horny) spirit who lives in a skull named Bob, a huge tomcat named Mister, and eventually (several books into the series) a dog named Mouse. :spot:

Now Desden must live in the Chicago of an alternate world - not only because our Chicago is not overrun with vampires, werewolves and the like (though 'tis run over with aggressive pan handlers :wink: ) - but also because the Chicago in his world has Wal-Marts with extensive garden centers, and a Wrigley Field surrounded by endless asphalt parking lots rather than a charming neighborhood with very little parking. :mrgreen:

Anyway, these little books are fast paced and a whole lot of fun, filled with charming characters such as Harry, Bob, Mouse, and Mister - but also the very dedicated police officer Karrin Murphy, the tabloid reporter Susan Rodriguez, a werewolf named Billy - and a hen pecked knight of God named Michael Carpenter.

Harry must save the city again and again from such things and people as evil mages, fairy wars, and sexual vampires!

So far there are nine books out of a projected twenty (but they are all a lot shorter than the huge books of say, Stephen Erikson or Robert Jordan).
the titles:

Storm Front
Fool Moon
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks
Blood Rites
Dead Beat
Proven Guilty
White Night

While the first two books are still fun, I thought that Butcher really started hitting his stride with the third book. And he keeps getting stronger and stronger with each subsequent novel. :D 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject: SciFi cable TV series based on the same
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:44 am 
Master Pilot

So and the resultant cable TV series turned out to be very weak and forgettable. It was not bad as such, but curiously unadventurous and non-inspired. OTOH, I've heard the series episodes were not shown in the producer's order (Firefly, as an example), but that's not the sole problem.

W/T are forever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have not seen the TV show; many people told me it was lacking the charm and humor of the books. :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:30 am 
Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:00 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:43 pm 
Lady Scryer

latest Dresden Files book came out recently...Small Favor. :)

Lots of fun with the 'Za Lord and his friends. Fae enforcers and demons to confront. :D

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Jim Butcher - the Dresden Files (very mild spoilers)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:41 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

I dunno, some of the villains are pretty badass and evil if you ask me. The fallen angels are nasty buggers.

My favorite character in the books is Marcone. I like how Butcher doesn't fall into patterns (like, say, the Harry Potter books). With the Harry Potter books, you know how they start (Harry is with his aunt and uncle, gets in trouble, then goes to school, then you get the opening dinner for the 5th time....), and you know that the book is going to end at the end of the school year. Some of the Dresden books will bring in Marcone for a huge or a small role, and other ones don't even mention him. I was a little disappointed how book 10 was basically all about Marcone, but his role was tiny in the end. I just finished the latest one (Turn Coat), and wish I could keep on reading. I may have to buy the novella and read it that's bundled with a few other novellas (not too thrilled about reading the other stories).

I also like how there's a clear story arc for the series. It seems to be moving somewhere, and there is character development (not just with Harry, but with the supporting characters like Susan and Thomas and Karrin). In a lot of long detective series (I'm thinking the alphabet books in particular-A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar...), the characters never really develop. Maybe the author will kill of a supporting character after 10 books for a little bit of freshness, but basically every book follows the same pattern. Butcher did a great job of avoiding this. I can't believe I read 11 freaking books and want to read 9 more (seriously, there are going to be 20? Holy Crap!). He really cranks the books out, too. It's too bad GRRM can't write even a 1/3d as fast as Jim Butcher.

I'm considering reading the other series that he's putting out, although I gotta say, the covers and titles kind of turn me off. Somehow, they don't look like they're as fun as the Dresden Files.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

Supposedly Butcher has written the series with a long term overall series plot in mind. While each book is a story in and of itself, they also all build upon each other to reach a planned end. This gives the series a lot more depth than the many long detective series that FarmUrTed mentioned. The series will have what is projected to be twenty main novels (there are also short stories and one graphic novel and one novella thus far). The last three books of the twenty are supposedly going to be a tightly woven trilogy about the apocalypse of Harry's world. :mrgreen:

Perhaps the best thing about the series is that Butcher keeps growing as a writer, and each book gets better as he and the series go along. 8)

And yeah - the villains get more and more dangerous as the series goes on - as do the heroes such as Harry himself. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

Changes. :shock: Whoa. :shock:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:47 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

That was pretty good. I dunno about the ending, though. I'm glad that the one major story-line is finished.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:20 pm 
The Timekeeper

I may look into Butcher. Good to see you around the ol' Hangar Ted!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:14 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Two words: two kids!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:37 am 
Lady Scryer

anyone else finding Ghost Story to be a real change of pace and very enjoyable? :D 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:53 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Yeah, it's really good. Harry is bringing it in this one.

Edit: He's a lot more philosophical. I guess you have time to think about stuff when

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:54 am 
Lady Scryer

Near the end I had to wipe some tears from my eyes.

Image Image Image