what science fiction are you reading right now?

latest discussions: Paolo Bacigalupi, Peter Watts, Iain M. Banks, Phillip K. Dick, Orson Scott Card, Julian May, Jacqueline Carey, C.S. Lewis, Philip Jose Farmer, David Brin, Greg van Eekhout, Stephen C. Gould, Alfred Bester, John Scalzi, R. Scott Bakker, Tobias Buckell

Moderators: Sylvanus, Moonwatcher

Re: what science fiction are you reading right now?

Postby Duchess of Malfi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:38 pm

MsMary wrote:It's good, you should look it up. Also available on Kindle, if you're into that.

It was nominated for a 2012 Hugo award.

It is very very good. :D
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Image Image Image
Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library
Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Postby Endy9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:16 am

Rereading the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. In the middle of Sword of the Lictor currently. Reminding me why I fell in love with this series the first time I read it in the early 80s.
~~Some may sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. I'm your witness, you're my Mutineer~~ Warren Zevon
Endy9
Master Pilot

Postby FarmUrTed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:34 am

I'm reading World War Z; it's not my favorite, but it's a quick read. I wish I'd known what the narrative structure was, because I definitely would have passed on it.
Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.
FarmUrTed
Blood Tea Chugger

Postby Endy9 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm rereading WWZ for the third time, which is unusual for me. Have been very resistant to rereading but find myself doing it more often lately. It's the style I love. Hated the movie though. Did nothing to capture what made the book special for me.
~~Some may sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. I'm your witness, you're my Mutineer~~ Warren Zevon
Endy9
Master Pilot

Postby FarmUrTed » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:56 am

That book just didn't work for me; there were parts I like, then they ended. The end.

I'm just about to start Solip:System (or something like that) by W Jon Williams. I just read Hardwired, and loved it. I'm glad I got turned onto this guy (from Danlo's top 60 thread).
Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.
FarmUrTed
Blood Tea Chugger

Postby MsMary » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:02 am

I'm reading a crazy Doctor Who novel - The Eight Doctors.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
MsMary
Master Pilot

Previous

Return to General Sci-Fi