Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Children Of Dune (Spoilers)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:49 am 
The UnTitled

I'm nearly finished this one, but once again I was struck by what has to be one of the most powerful, yet minimalistic scenes I've ever read.

The scene where Jessica discovers that Alia is possessed by the Baron, just as an assassination attempt occurs.

I read these couple of pages over and over, looking for anything I might have missed, but there is nothing. And yet the effect it has on me is remarkable for the simplicity of the language and economy of words.

Not the discovery, but Jessica's escape from the audience chamber.

If you recall, one of the petitioners is an old ex-Fedaykin. And as Jessica realises that the attempt was against her, and that she is in great danger, she speaks in the old language, that only those who would profit from her words would understand. And she cries out (as nearly as I remember), Stand by your brother in his time of need, be he just or unjust..

Then Alia's revelation is made, and as Jessica realises that she is meant to be frozen in terror, she calls out to all the petitioners, 'Fedaykin, follow me!"

And everything else in that chapter, the frantic action, the desperate escape, is described only as follows:

Quote:It turned out there were six Fedaykin in the room. Five won through behind her.

I have tears in my eyes writing that. Such a little paragraph. There should be more.

Anyway. I had to make a post about that.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>