Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chapter 11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:05 am 
Pilot

Quote:It is said that the Duke Leto blinded himself to the perilsof Arrakis,that he walked heedlessly into the pit.Would it not be more likely to suggest he had lived so long in the presece of extreme danger he misjudged a change in its intensity?Or is it possible he deliberately sacrificed himself that his son might find a better life?All evidence indicate the Duke was not a man easily hoodwinked.

-from "Muad'Dib: Family Commentaries by the Princess Irulan

At first we find th Duke in seeming repose,apparently admiring the view of an Arrakeen night.Violated only by notices posted above the Duke's signature:"Our Sublime Padishah Emporer has charged me to take possesion of this planet and end all dispute". We then see that the Duke is plagued by lonliness that stems from command,understanding that the notice is nothing more than a ritualistic phrase that most will ignore,the Fremen,absolutely.The Houses Minor who have many graft operations on Arrakis,and most positively,the Harkonnen agents abroad will pay no heed to the notice.

Rage, rage of every parent's nightmare of someone trying to take the life of your child. "They have tried to take the life of my son!" Echoes through the Duke's mind.We now see the reason for the seeming repose,the Duke stood to regain his composure while he waited for Paul,remembering the less than flattering note from the Emporer. Knowing he must mask his feelings for Paul,as so not to alarm him.Self pity,anger,lonliness,and overall doubt that the populace of Arrakis would even care about the change of fief,the change of Houses.

Distracting himself by remembering Gurney Halleck,his own weapons master,a man full of songs and quotations,also a master at the baliset,fails to break his angry reverie.Within the Duke's thoughts he find a possible answer to House Atreides problem of the future of the family line...the Fremen.

Still haunted by the assassination attempt on Paul's life,the Duke gathers his authority to himself,his calm visage,as he notices the incoming shuttle contained his men from Caladan.Thrusting his personal problems aside,the Duke descends the stairwell to greet the incoming personnel.Before he arrives Leto overhears that the men are just as rude,brutal,and uncouth as any noble-born,but Leto's prescence alone commands silence throughout the room.

Gurney Halleck strides at the forefront of his men,his leadership is unquestioned.Leto noted Gurney,his admiration for Gurney leap to a quotation from Paul:"Gurney the Valerous." Further love and respect comes from Leto is evident in his conversations with Gurney,remembering Gurney's own hatred of the Harkonnens letting him know there are stiil Harkonnens to kill,despite Gurney's late arrival to Arrakis.Filling Gurney in on planetary governing problems that would not normally fall to a weapons master,seeking Gurney's insight on retaining seasoned dune men,spice harvesters,hoping Gurney's charisma in leadership can sway even just a few men to stay to train men from Caladan to the ways of Arrakis's desert and havesting the spice.Leaving even House Atreides coffers open to Gurney to help pay for the experienced help Leto will need.

Leto's love and respect for Gurney is further evident when Leto confides in Gurney that there will be "open battle and secret and many shall lose their lives before the Change is complete.Gurney (as always) has the perfect quotation for the moment,:"And water which thou takest out of the river shall become blood upon dry land."Leto sighs with fatigue and a minor impatience with Gurney at this.Gurney knowing his lord is beginning to grow impatient with him,grins at Leto to lighten his mood,and quotes further,"Behold,as a wild ass in the desert,go I forth to my work."Gurney stops only long enough to relay orders,and hurries through his men,further showing Gurney's competence in his command.

Leto stands amazed at Gurney's retreating back,known for having the right quotation,song,and flowery phrases for any situation......and the true heart of a killer when the Harkonnens were involved.Leto retreats to the lift to return to his reverie on the balcony above,bantering with assorted men to lift their spirits and to show that HE,Duke Leto Atreides was in control,his command sure,firm.When the lift closed Leto to all others, his rage returns anew,"They have tried to take the life of my son!"

In this chapter we see the human side of the Duke Leto,a man who has worries and concerns as any other human might.Due to the rigors of command Leto knows that what may be happening in the perihipheral view,his main view stands,HE and HE alone is the Duke,the House Atreides,without a doubt,without reservation.The strain of command falls to him,however,we see that Leto does not lose sight of all of what makes a true,great leader.The welfare of his men is seen to,the physical needs and the needs of the men to feel as if Leto were accessable to any man at any time is not neglected.

Behind closed doors his rage may bloom,but never control his actions.Leto's rage,lonliness,and confidence of all below him Leto uses as a tool for his rage.A foci,a new transgression to add to the many already banked that House Harkonnen will someday have to pay,with interest..........

Thus concludes my first dissection guys and gals,sorry to be so windy,as you can tell when I read i tend to see a great deal in just about all of it.OK,now the FUN part, what did you guys think?Did I happen to overlook anything? Let me know...........spacemonkey

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Chapter 11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:17 am 
Lady Scryer

I think you did a superb job.

You caught that fierce protectiveness that Leto feels towards the people he loves - his son (and one would presume towards Jessica as well).

It makes me wonder what Leto would do if the Harkonnen were to hold Jessica or Paul as hostage/s against Leto, the way they use Yueh's wife against him? Would he break like Yueh? Would he go to war? What would he do?

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:25 am 
Pilot

My personal view is that Geidi Prime would be nothing more than radioactive glass after Leto got finished using the family atomics.Landsraad or no........ <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:09 am 
Lady Scryer

You could be quite right with that! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:23 am 
The UnTitled

Great job SpaceMonkey, and thanks.

I agree with Duchess, a fine look at Leto the Man, opposed to Leto the Duke.

In fact, I wonder what Leto would have done if Yueh had confided in him...I wonder if he would have staged a raid to try and save her/find out if she was really dead?

Of course, Yueh would have been denied his revenge then no doubt.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:49 am 
Pilot

Thank you everybody! I was a bit nervous about it,most of it came from memory,I only had to consult my copy of Dune twice...I was concerned that it would be a bit silly,long winded,but,like I told you all before I tend to see a great deal in the side show as well as the main storyline.I stand ready to commit to the next available chapter,Duchess,Av,MM, let me know when I can jump back in........Besides,it was really fun! <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:10 pm 
The UnTitled

The side-shows of Dune are some of its best aspects.

And from memory? I'm impressed. I do my dissections with the book open on my lap.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:18 am 
Lady Scryer

As do I. I am even more impressed now. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:47 am 
Pilot

Duchess, I did indeed say that my love of Dune may be as great as yours,my love for Herbert's work is indeed very deep.I owe Frank a very great deal,not only for his literary works but,as a human being.

AWWWWWWWWW,come on guys,you flatter me it's no great shakes,My memory is still good after the severe abuse it recieved in the 80's.Even more creative after a few trips...... oohmy <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:06 pm 
The UnTitled

Now I like you even more.

Hell, my memory is excellent, and I've read Dune many many times. But I still couldn't do that.