Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Re:Dune chapter 10
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:08 am 
Lady Scryer

That was a nice recap from the Dune Houses books. Yes, Fenring simply knew too much about Shaddam and his rather nasty personal secrets. So Shaddam sent him off to Arrakis rather than killing him. It was a bad decision - Fenring was the one who had the brains and know-how to actually run the government...Shaddam should have kept him nearby and saved himself a galaxy of trouble!

So anyway, the house now occupied by the Atreides was probably some sort of Imperial property while Fenring was on the planet. Though, as Av pointed out, that might not have made much of a difference to the Fremen impression of it.

The Fremen do not seem to think much of off worlders in general...and who could blame them with the Harkonnen as examples? Sincere off worlders, such as the Imperial planetologists do seem to be much more accepted by the Fremen, though. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:40 am 
The UnTitled

I was thinking of Kynes myself, although I was saving it for another chapter. How did he become so accepted that his dream, (the dream of an ecologist) was taken up so quickly?

(the dream, btw, that secured the Atreides a plave among the Fremen in the first place.)

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:41 am 
Pilot

The Fremen saw Liet Kynes as a prophet of God.Kynes was to die by a poisoned chrys-knife,poisoned by the unchanged Water of Life.When the council decided to kill Liet for knowing too many Fremen secrets,locations of seitches,AND for converting so many Fremen to his science of using people as a terraforming force that would take generations to see the results,Liet looked at his would-be-assassin and said simply:"Remove yourself.". When the assassin got in his way during one of his "sermons" and the assassin looked astounded and fell on his own poisoned chrys-knife instead of killing Kynes.The Fremen Liet was "preaching" to saw this as a sign from God and from that day forward Liet had to only suggest an idea and the Fremen took these as commands.Liet proved that his ideas will work and showed proof to the then young Stilgar and others.They followed Liet like a prophet from those days forward................ <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:06 pm 
The UnTitled

Damn, I have to get me those prequels.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>