Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Carrion Comfort
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:04 pm 
Lady Scryer

Carrion Comfort was Dan Simmons's second published book, after Song of Kali. It is a horror novel, as was its predecessor...
It deals with the subject of vampires -- but not your classic blood suckers that Simmons wrote about in Children of the Night. Rather, these are vampires of the mind...
Here is a review I found from Amazon:
From Publishers Weekly
The second novel by World Fantasy Award-winner Simmons ( The Song of Kali ) is a 636-page epic that draws on a variety of genres--horror, science fiction, political thriller, Hollywood roman a clef. It centers around a small number of "mind vampires" who can subjugate other people to their wills, read their minds, experience through their senses. The immensely powerful vampires use others, often bloodily, and often in frivolous "games" (hunting human prey, chess games with human pieces, and so on). Opposing them are Saul Laski, a psychologist and concentration-camp survivor, who is devoted to tracking down the Nazi vampire von Borchert; Natalie Preston, whose father inadvertently and fatally crossed the path of a pawn of the ancient, dotty vampire Melanie Fuller; Sheriff Bobby Joe Gentry, dragged in while investigating the multiple murders that marked the departure of Melanie Fuller from Charleston; and a host of other normals and vampires whose lives impinge on those of the principals. While he could profitably have trimmed the novel by a third, Simmons has produced, overall, a compelling thriller.
Copyright 1989 Reed Business Information, Inc.

The short story of the same name, which was the inspiration for this novel can be found in the collection Prayers for Broken Stones.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Carrion Comfort
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:59 pm 
Master Pilot

for rocksister's interest--I'll try to read it soon--but duchy'll chat with you, I'm sure! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Carrion Comfort
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:46 am 
Master Pilot

This is one in my short list of books I tried to read, thought it sucked, put it down, decided to give it another chance..finished it and said Wow! What a fantastic book and I'm so glad I picked it back up.

another in that book pile
Riddle Master of Hed