Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Summer of Night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:49 pm 
Lady Scryer

This is another of Simmons' acclaimed horror books. It's about a group of tweenie boys in a small Midwestern American town who find themselves caught up in a fight against a great evil.
Stephen King says its one of the three best horror books written in the past five years. "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Summer of Night
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:04 am 
Lady Scryer

Quote:It's the summer of 1960 and in the small town of Elm Haven, Illinois, five twelve-year-old boys are forging the powerful bonds that a lifetime of change will not break. But amid the sun-drenched cornfields and the sly flirtations of the local young girls, that loyalty will be piteously tested. From the silent depths of the Old Central School, a hulking fortress tinged with the mohagany scent of cofffins, an invisible evil is emerging. And now Mike, Duane, Dale, Harlen, and Kevin must wage a freaternal war of blood - against an arcane abomination who stalks the hours after dark...

Mike will also be a hero in the vampire novel, Children of the Night but, he will, of course be a grown man then.

The award winning sequel to this book is called A Winter Haunting and relates Dale's return to his hometown...also as an adult. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:37 am 
Lady Scryer

Some more "cross characters" from Summer of Night who appear in some of Simmons's other books also include Dale's really cool little brother, Lawrence Stewart, who appears in Darwin's Blade and Cordie Cooke appears in Fires of Eden.

I have one question for others who have read the book, though, and it might involve spoilers -- but what exactly are those ground lamprey things? Are they something out of soem old legends or as they something from Simmons's gifted imagination? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:04 pm 
Pilot

As far as I know, the lamprey creatures from Summer of Night are just creations of Dan's imagination. I haven't heard any legends or lore that mention them.

Greg <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

I couldn't think of anything like them, either.
They are certainly extremely creepy!
Simmons definately captures the kids' fear of closets and shadowy places in the basement and monsters under the bed with this book, doesn't he? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:45 pm 
Pilot

yes, he does a great job capturing that scary feeling of childhood terrors that even as an adult you can still remember.

one of my favorite parts of SUMMER OF NIGHT is the scene that takes place at Michele's party where she and Michael go into the barn to have a private moment and they get interrupted. Creepy stuff.

Greg <i></i>