Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SPOILERS! what do you find creepiest in the Hyperion cantos?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:13 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've got to say, that those Archangel ships in the Endymion books give me the creeps! So does everything to do with the crucifixes! What bothers you? my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 11/27/02 12:09:31 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: SPOILERS! what do you find creepiest in the Hyperion can
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:08 pm 
Master Pilot

Oh there's plenty just in the first book alone--what happens 2 the Priest, The Shrike's worry tree. Probably just living on Hyperion period--knowing any second of ur life the Shrike might strike. The Priest's fate, the xplorer not the speaker, and M. Weintraub's dau 4getting who she is everyday are both totally freaky.
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/27/02 5:28:13 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:40 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'd have to add the Nemes quadruplets, too. They make the Shrike look a bit like a creampuff!! my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:15 am 
Master Pilot

I kno this is off topic, and belongs in the SRD forum, but Director Dios on Kevin's Watch compelled me do all this research on Lane Harbinger in the Gap Saga. Well, what Holt Fasner did 2 his mother is 1 of the most twisted things ever recorded in the Sci-Fi genre...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:20 am 
Lady Scryer

Refresh me. It's been a looooong time since I've read the Gap, but I do remember a lot of freakiness in it. Is the Mom one of those weird people who disembowels herself for kicks? That kind of made me sick... "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/27/03 10:28 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:46 am 
Master Pilot

Egads no! Not the self-mutilators! It's even weirder than that she communicates with a 100 monitors at a time, she's like a zillion years old and kept alive in a nuerologic bath...Holt makes Norman Bates look like a normal person...
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/27/03 10:30 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:02 pm 
Lady Scryer

"What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/27/03 10:30 pm
</i>

Post subject: What do you find creepiest?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:43 pm 
Pilot

What do I find creepiest....
Can I say EVERYTHING? <i></i>

Post subject: Ouch!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:51 pm 
Pilot

Sorry, I didn't mean that... I thought you were talking about the coolest thing on Hyperion.. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Ouch!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:07 am 
Master Pilot

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Ouch!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

Raul, actually, we also have that discussion as well. I will bump it up for you. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>