Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: To Green Angel Tower Part 1 (only light spoilers)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:29 pm 
Lady Scryer

I started reading this last night at work. I am very glad that all of the different strands that Williams had begun are all being woven together very neatly!
I still like Simon very much. He is still a very cool guy, and very caring, but he is starting to become very practical, too. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Re: To Green Angel Tower Part 1 (only light spoilers)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:54 am 
Master Pilot

I don't think the Duchess ever sleeps--between reading Martin, Williams and Zindell all @ the same time AND working AND taking c/o Mr Sunshine and bigredbulldog AND luvin' on Calibaby! OMG!!! How does she DO it!!?? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/28/03 5:56:01 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:07 am 
Lady Scryer

The main thing is this brutally cold winter. I haven't been able to go out much because the cold has been making my asthma act up. SO I've only gone outside if I absolutely have to for the past few weeks, and have spent a lot of time cuddled with the and the in front of the fireplace
And work has been nearly unbearable lately, so on my breaks and lunches I've tried to hide in a quiet corner and to keep my sanity. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 1/29/03 9:06:19 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:01 am 
Lady Scryer

Hey Earthblood -- what are those gross creepy bug things in the swamp???? Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:18 am 
Master Pilot

Ghants - beetle/spider hybrids (my mind's picture) scary things - sneak up on ya & take you away in the night!!!
The Wrannamen were very afraid & kept their distance.

Spoiler:

When Merriamel(sp?), Isgrimmer and Cadrach save Timmiak from the nest, you will get a real feel for the ghants.... <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:00 am 
Lady Scryer

Yes, they just got to the nest. Those bug things are creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy!!!!!! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

THE BUGS!
THE NORNS!!

Can't wait to get into the other half (I have it in paperback and it's split into two huge books). Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:45 am 
Lady Scryer

I am reading part 2 now, and it is giving me extreme clautrophobia!!! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:29 pm 
Master Pilot

Don't have the book in front of me, but you probly are speaking of Maegwin's forays into the dark tunnels beneath the mountains & her meeting with the Y'sedra(?sp) - servants of the Norn & cousins to the sea singers. The weaving of all the plot lines, characters and even the connections between seemingly un-connected groups is masterful IMHO. This is why I really love this series. Wait till you get to the part with Simon in the tunnels beneath the Hayholt. So many things come together, it makes your head spin. Like I said at the beginning - pay attention to ALL the characters, even the seemingly unimportant ones. You'll never know where they'll show up again!!!

A lot of religious undertones and always the threads of morality and mortality weaving thru the story. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:53 am 
Lady Scryer

Actually, I'm working on Green Angel Tower 2, so I was talking about how a lot of the main charsters seem to be underground right now. Sorry, I should have been more clear!
Yes, all of the strands are coming together very nicely!!
I like reading Williams. He has a very good way with words -- his prose is just lovely. And I like his characters, too.

Eventually, I think I'll have to read his Otherland series, too, and the new fantasy one that'll start coming out in May. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:18 pm 
Lady Scryer

I finished this morning, Earthblood! I finished the whole thing!
In the end every thread was firmly woven into the tapestry.
And you don't want to know how far behind I am with the laundry, as Williams and Zindell have consumed most of my time!
I can see why you are having a bit of trouble with Martin's writing style. He would seem choppy in comparison to Williams. I, of course, came in from the other direction, and Williams at first was hard to get into because his writing style is much more slow and stately compared to Martin's. I am very glad I stuck with it, though, as I enjoyed it a lot. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: MS&T
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:07 am 
Pilot

A quick question.
Did any of you read the book over winter?
This may seem a strange question to ask, but I did and it made me feel like our winter was never going to end!!!
On saying that, it still hasnt ended and I woke up this morning to thick snow everywhere!
Roll on Summer! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: MS&T
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:59 pm 
Master Pilot

I think I first read it over the summer, but I know how you feel. Williams writing is very descriptive, especially the underground scenes - I almost felt claustrophobic at times.... Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>