Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Who's your favorite female in LOTR?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:09 am 
Master Pilot

Why did you choose your particular favorite?GoldberryGaladrielArwenEowynRosieShow results Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Who's your favorite female in LOTR?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:22 pm 
Master Pilot

There's just something about a half elf. Can't really say, but she's my choice. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:40 pm 
Master Pilot

U dog! Yeah and I bet having Liv Tyler play her in the movie didn't hurt matters either! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:06 am 
Master Pilot

Am I really that transparent?? Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:32 pm 
Master Pilot

Liv Tyler is gorgeous .. but so is Cate Blanchett .. very hard choice to make ..

In the book I would choose Galadriel but in the movie Liv Tyler all the way .. even though sit in adoration of Blanchett.
health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:25 pm 
Master Pilot

Well I've gone for the Fair Maiden of Rohan. She moved me the most when I first read LOTR, and old habits die hard. Plus she kicked Angmar's Bony Ass. That's some going. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:06 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Excellent point, Beren!</b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:31 am 
Master Pilot

Galadriel is definitely the coolest female in LOTR, a talented and powerful elf. She has the distinction, at the time of the LOTR (the Third Age) of being the eldest elf woman in Middle Earth (Cirdan is probably the eldest elf), and the only surviving elf who saw the Two Trees when they were in flower in Aman, before they were destroyed by Morgoth. Plus,she has to have been one tough woman to have survived the journey from Aman to Middle Earth across the Grinding Ice, when many other elves died during the crossing. She lived in the kingdom of Thingol and Melian at the height of its power and learned a great deal of wisdom from Melian the Maia.

Just imagine the memories she must have!

(Galadriel in the movie, btw, was not at all how I pictured her - the movie character looks too young and girlish, and she is not as beautiful as I'd imagined Galadriel to be.)

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:02 am 
Master Pilot

<b> I agree with you on all points M&M! She surely was old. Hard to understand why she wanted to brave the problems faced in coming to Middle Earth, but I'm sure that many were glad. I think she should have had a "dangerous" kind of beauty in the film, but I'm happy with who PJ picked (or whoever did the casting).</b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:18 pm 
Master Pilot

I was torn between Galadriel and Eowyn...I finally picked Eowyn because she kicks ass! Seriously, though...I know Galadriel is a tough cookie too, but she just seems too...I guess <i> ethereal</i> is the word I'm looking for. Remote. Eowyn seemed much more human...conflicted between her desire to fight Sauron's armies, and her responsibility to her people. Plus she killed the King of the Nazgul. Hard to beat that.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:19 am 
Master Pilot

I don't know, King Theoden - the actress who played Galadriel in the movie was too flaky looking for my taste. She made me think of some flighty Celtic witch maiden, not the most powerful female elf in Middle Earth.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:13 am 
Pilot

Galadriel of course!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:49 am 
Master Pilot

flighty celtic witch maiden??? .. flaky??

Blanchett imo was the perfect choice - she looked like a powerful elven Queen - and she did have that ethereal quality about her .. Blanchett carried it off well .. but yeah she could have come across a flighty celtic witch maiden equally as well .. lol health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:20 am 
Pilot

hmm that wasn't quite how she came across to me - i actually liked Blanchett as Galadriel. still undecided about the radioactive scene though. anyway Galadriel was my pick. tough decision though, all the women in LOTR are strong and admirable in their own way. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:41 am 
Pilot

My vote goes for Éowyn. She is a really believable and well-realized character that you really get to care about. And then there is that little thing with the Witch-king...

Galadriel is a very nice character too and was my favorite female character when I was younger. Another favorite of mine is... Lobelia. She certainly has spirit, you have to give her that... <i></i>