Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Who's your favorite female in LOTR?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:19 am 
Master Pilot

I didnt like Eowyn as much .. I guess it is cos I pictured someone else playing Eowyn .. so I was a tad disappointed

but she was ok .. just not quite how I pictured her .. 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:24 am 
Pilot

I've always been moved by Eowyn. She was one of my faves in the book, with a complex emotional story and genuine achievement at terrible cost.

But I've no complaint at all about Galadriel in the film. Cate Blanchet, imo, came across as someone genuinely ancient--with a perspective very different from anyone elses as a result.

Liv Tyler's Arwen is great! She seemed both inhumanly old yet curiously young (Legolas, btw, achieved the same difficult effect). And so nice to see her actually doing stuff (my bet is she shows up early in ROTK with Narsil reforged--and poor Eowyn is gonna see just how powerful the bond is between these two).

Rosie was almost too cute--luscious, even--for words! I never imagined any Hobbit would seem sexy to me! "GOD created Man in his own image. Man, being a gentleman, returned the courtesy." -Voltaire<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:20 am 
Master Pilot

I thought Miranda Otto was wonderful as Eowyn. She really portrayed the "caged bird" aspect of Eowyn's character well, and she was amazing in her scenes with Aragorn. I really felt sorry for her, being in love with him and knowing he loved someone else.

Cate Blanchett was a little too serious, IMO. She always spoke in a monotone...I never pictured Galadriel like that. She may be wise and beautiful, but she's not quite so...aloof. The added gift-giving scenes on the DVD were better, though - we actually got to see her smile, which was nice. Bit of the lighter side of her personality.

Arwen was barely a character in the books, so I really don't have much to compare to. But once I get past the somewhat extraneous nature of her scenes, especially in TTT, I don't think she's that bad, after all.

I loved Rosie, although that may be only because she is the quintessential Tavern Wench. That's a Hatrack thing, though.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:55 am 
Master Pilot

Arwen. She's bright and shiny and accompanied by a heavenly chorus. Therefore, we must drool over her. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:16 am 
Master Pilot

Actually, the Evenstar theme from TTT gives me the creeps. It reminds me very strongly of something, but I can't figure out what.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:54 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've always liked Eowyn...she a major league buttkicker but has a really vulnerable side, too.
In the movie, Galadriel is protrayed much better in the extended edition of Fellowship than the theatrical release. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:22 pm 
Pilot

Very true. The only real complaint I had about the theatrical version was that so much of Lothlorien got cut. Everything else I could live with, but that omission set an important chunk of story a little off-kilter.

And it made such a difference to see Galadriel smile! To see Gimli fall in love with her! And to have Celeborn, btw, come across as something like a real person rather than one oddly-inflected line of dialogue. "GOD created Man in his own image. Man, being a gentleman, returned the courtesy." -Voltaire<i></i>

Post subject: arwen
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:50 pm 
Pilot

i think the people who voted for arwen probably voted for her for her role in the film, because in the book she is barly mentioned she is seen in the fellowship, not mentioned at all in the two towers and says a tiny bit in the return of the king. i do like the story about her and aragorn in the appendix though.

klessin <i></i>

Post subject: Galadriel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:48 am 
Pilot

They are all wonderful, of course.

My favorite was always Galadriel. Mostly because she is described as so wise and awe-inspiring - I like that. Plus, she does have a Ring of Power. I was disappointed with Lothlorien in the movie, but felt beter after I saw the extended edition. She does seem very serious - but I think she has a reason to be. Pretty much everyone she knew or loved is gone - killed by Morgoth or Sauron - and she can (presumably) never go back to Valinor. One other note about her, I read somewhere (must have been in one of the HOME books) that Feanor asked Galadriel for a strand of her hair, presumably to make something out of it, and she refused. That then caused all sorts of trouble between her and Feanor's house. I can't find the passage to cite it - sorry!

BUT, if I had to choose one of them to be, I would pick Goldberry. She just gets to hang out in a cabin with her Hippy-man Tom and have a good time. I could live like that!

-lorien

Out flew the web and floated wide;
The mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Galadriel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:32 am 
Lady Scryer

That would be a pretty pleasant way to live, wouldn't it? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Galadriel
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:09 pm 
Master Pilot

Actually, Galadriel does go back to Valinor, with the other Ringbearers, at the end of ROTK. But it wouldn't be the same as she remembered it, of course, after all those ages.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

Post subject: Galadriel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:10 am 
Pilot

Firstlt, her name is beautiful. Second, she has class. At the end of the First Age, when the Valar forgave all the Noldoran nobility EXCEPT her, and said that she wasn't allowed to return into the West, she stated that she didn't want to go into the West anyway and that she was quite happy where she was, thank you very much. Third, she was the only noble Elf in Middle Earth who had dwelt in the West in the days of Telperion and Laurelin, and who had seen their beauty. Fourth, even though she supported the flight of the Noldor from the West to Beleriand, she never liked Feanor. In fact, it is mentioned (I think in Unfinished Tales) that they were the two greatest of the Noldor and that they were 'unfriends forever'. Fifth, she was very beautiful, and it is said that in the West they said that the light of the Two Trees was captured in her hair. It is also said that it was this that gave Feanor the idea for the Silmarils. Sixth, by showing kindness to Gimli, she does a lot to pull down the barriers of race erected through years of mistrust between Elves and Dwarves. Seventh, she spent years living with (and presumably learning from) Melian the Maia, the mother of Luthien Tinuviel. Eighth, I don't really know, but I'm sure there is more.

By the way, anyone who likes Galadriel should read the chapter about her and Celeborn in Unfinished Tales. It seems that just before he died Tolkien was rewriting their entire history in order to have her actions fit in with her beliefs more, and to further distance her from Feanor.

Sum sui generis
Vs <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:32 pm 
Pilot

When I chose Galadriel I do so from the perspective of who I would want to meet, like a backstage pass kind of thing.

I'm quite happily married, so that took out part of the equation for me.

As far as Tyler and Blanchett - well, they had no affect on me. The characters I envisioned in reading the book are larger than life so this was anti-climatic for me.

Plus I really didn't care for how the combined and expanded the role for Tyler.

So right after I meet JRR, I want to meet Galadriel! <i></i>