Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Silmarillion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:58 pm 
Master Pilot

I started re-reading the Sil & thought I would start a thread dedicated to its discussion. We have touched it here & there, but I thought a single place to go to would be more appropriate.

So far...Melkor is stirring things up ......Ulmo & Manwe are shaping the sea & sky... Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Silmarillion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

Isn't Melkor horrifyingly evil?
Makes Sauron look like a choir boy!
My favorite part of the Sil has to be the story of Beren and Luthien! They are one of my favorite couples in all literature!
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:17 pm 
Master Pilot

I love the Silmarillion. It gives a lot of background on Tolkien's world. Good stories, too.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:27 am 
Lady Scryer

There are some wonderful stories in the Sil. Any number of them could have been written as full length novels, and excellent ones at that! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:38 am 
Pilot

Feanor and his sons always stuck in my mind - maker of the Silmarils.

I also loved the Tale of Beren and Luthien - which is mirrored in the relationship between Arwen and Aragorn. The ultimate love story. The beauty of life is you don`t have to be modernly beautiful to live it.
(C.S. Lewis)

Farewell sweet earth and northern sky,
forever blest since here did lie
and here with lissom limbs did run,
beneath the moon, beneath the sun,
Luthien Tinuviel,
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.

(Tolkien)<i></i>

Post subject: I cannot wait
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:57 am 
Master Pilot

I cannot wait 2 re-read--sometime this summer! <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:23 am 
Pilot

I really really love the Sil. Part of it is just the stories are so great. And I am the kind of person that loves all that background stuff - the 'mythology' of ME and the origins of everything that culminates in LOTR. I almost like it better than Lord of the Rings. Is that crazy or what?

My favorite story is Tuor's. I love how he made the journey to the ocean and was 'chosen' by Ulmo to basically save the Eldar and Edain. Then he goes to Gondolin and hooks up with Idril - she is awesome - maker of 'Idril's Secret Way' that allowed them to escape during the Fall of Gondolin. That has always been my favorite.

Feanor and his seven sons are also very interesting. They take the oath that ends up destroying them, how sad.

Then of course you have all the Vala and the two trees.

Basically just an all around awesome read. Although I have known people that just cannot get into it - which I can understand. I think it rules, though!!

-lorien

Out flew the web and floated wide;
The mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:18 am 
Pilot

The whole background of the Elves and the First Age is fascinating. Must admit, there are some things that just stick in my mind:

--Beren and Luthien. Apart from the huge significance of the tale, something I learned recently really gets my heart going. It seems Tolkien himself met his future wife Edith while both were teenagers, and the first time he saw her she was dancing in the woods. His legal guardian (a Jesuit priest) forbad him to see the girl again until Tolkien had earned a degree, which would be when he was 21. Tolkien did this. I'm told their graves say "Beren" and "Luthien."

--Celeborn. I can't tell you how fascinated I was to learn Galadriel's spouse was Moriquendi! This makes me imagine a lot about their relationship, about what this grand lady born in Valinor under the light of the trees found in this fellow. (I should mention a careful look at Celeborn hints at an extraordinary but quiet power). "O Let my name be in the Book of Love!
If it be there, I care not of
That other great book above!
Strike it out, or write it in anew,
But let my name be in the Book of Love!"<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:49 am 
Pilot

That is a good story about the "real" Beren and Luthien. I always thought it was a great story! I like how Luthien turns into a vampire bat. I remember reading a longer version in (one of) The Book of Lost Tales. There is a very long section where Beren is taken prisoner by Tevildo, the Prince of Cats. He is evil and makes Beren work in the Cats' kitchen as a slave. Too bad because I love cats! Of course, Luthien rescues him from that mess, too.

And I agree that we know frustratingly little about Celeborn. Wish I knew how he and Galadriel met! I think she stayed with Melian in Menegroth - so maybe they met there. Anyone know the story?

The whole background is fascinating, I agree. I never get tired of it!
Out flew the web and floated wide;
The mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

I agree that the story of Tolkien and his wife is wonderful!
I have also always liked the story about how Luthien turns herself into a vampire bat! -- very unexpected from the most beautiful of all living things! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow I didn't know that about Tolkien and his wife! Thanks Zahir! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:52 am 
Master Pilot

I had never heard that story about Tolkien and his wife. That's beautiful. It adds a whole new depth and meaning to the tale of Beren and Lúthien.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:25 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow, I like that story about Tolkien and his wife, too. Very romantic.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:36 am 
Pilot

Lorien, Celeborn was the son of Galadon (I think, I will look it up and confirm later), who was the son of Elmo, the much beloved but never seen youngest brother of Elwe (Thingol) and Olwe. He lived in Doriath and so Galadriel met him there when she went to visit Thingol and Melian after first arriving in Beleriand. She eventually moved from Tol Sirion where she was living with Finrod (before the founding of Nargothrond) and moved to Doriath because of Celeborn.

According to the Unfinished Tales, near the end of his life JRRT was rewriting their history so as to make Celeborn a close kinsman of Olwe, living in Alqualonde. He and Galadriel met there and she lived with him. They were planning to leave Aman and return to Beleriand (with Manwe's blessing) when Morgoth and Ungoliant struck and Feanor rebelled. Celeborn and Galadriel fought against Feanor and his sons in defence of the Teleri, and escaped Alqualonde on Celeborn's ship, landing on the shores of Beleriand before he did.

Hope that was helpful.
Sum sui generis
Vs <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:38 am 
Master Pilot

That is good info VS - I think I'll pick the Sil up again tonight! Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>