Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: LOTR...did Tolkien use the concept too much?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:46 pm 
Master Pilot

After writing the Hobbit, Tolkien wrote LOTR, then Unfinished Tales, and other tales etc. He began the Sil, his son Christopeher(I think thats his name...) finished it. What else did Tolkien write? Do you think he wrote too much on LOTR? Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: LOTR...did Tolkien use the concept too much?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:53 am 
Master Pilot

Probably not enuf! IMHO I was dying 4 more the 2nd time I finished LOTR and just 4 sheer imagery and mind-bending mythos the Silmarillion blew me away. There are still many characters and Lands (and Pantheons) I would like, very much, 2 kno about! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 9/24/02 8:20:23 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:19 am 
Master Pilot

Is that even possible?

Seriously, though, I think you can't have too much of Middle-Earth - or of Arda, for that matter. Tolkien created a whole world, with a language and a culture and a mythology, and there are always more stories to tell. That's part of the beauty of LOTR.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:01 am 
Master Pilot

I agree too!! I cant get enough .. having just finished the LotR's .. I am hungry for more!!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:04 pm 
Pilot

What else did Tolkien write as in other books? Last time I counted it was 21 books or was it 40.....at any rate, he's wrote a lot of other things besides LOTR. I also believe the Hobbit came out after LOTR, but I could very well be wrong about that. Need Beren in here, the resident Tolkien expert.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:20 pm 
Master Pilot

Tolkien started writing fiction in 1916. This was what later became The Silmarillion. He wrote the Hobbit in the 1930's, LOTR from 1937 - 1951, and then The Silmarillion till his death.

Apart from that he wrote many books, papers, essays, poems. Some have been published, not all are set in Middle Earth, but his output was prodigious. There are around 20 books on Middle Earth which he wrote solely or are edited by CJRT.

But the rest was not Middle Earth. We are taling Sir Gawaine, Beornhoth, Roverandrum etc etc.

Did he overcook the egg ? Well Middle Earth was his life. If he did it's because he was obsessed with it and it's languages, as so many of his fans are.

Like Fiduciary, who is well on the way to becoming a Tolkien expert herself Narika nBari nAdun yanakhim<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:22 am 
Master Pilot

I dont need no Tolkien...Ive got Lewis, hes my area of expertise so to speak. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:17 am 
Master Pilot

The Lord of the Rings was probably the last thing he wrote! All of his writings are wonderful! C.S. Lewis is AA Ball compared!! (IMHO)

Iv'e never seen Farmer Giles of Ham mentioned anywhere on these threads--Did I imagine this story!? or is it the cool tale I remember? 30 years ago I read it ( I think!)
Also; There's a dearth of knowledge to be gleaned in his appendixes at the end of LOTR !!

TOLKEIN RULES!!!!! <i>Edited by: diamondraught at: 9/25/02 7:23:49 pm
</i>

Post subject: LOTR and after
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Actually LOTR might have been Tolkiens last work published in his life, but he stuck to 20 years of work on The Silmarillion after he finished LOTR. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: LOTR and after
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:42 am 
Master Pilot

I just "re"-started the Sil. Im not even done w/the creation chapter... All in due time! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:54 am 
Master Pilot

DD: that's true and that's true and that's true. I 2 read Farmer of Giles Ham ages ago--It came w/another story called Smith of Wooten Major. I can barely remember them--y don't you start a thread on those! Unless our respective ages are playing a minor mass hallucination on us! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:06 pm 
Master Pilot

You have to keep in mind that Tolkien mainly wrote LOTR for public consumption. The other stuff, the Silmarillion and so forth, he developed more for his own interest. He may have had ideas of actually publishing the Silmarillion after LOTR generated so much interested, but it was actually published posthumously, by his son. Likewise, the Unfinished Tales and other writings were just that, unfinished notes from Tolkien about Middle Earth which were compiled and published posthumously by his son.

Is it too much? I think we can safely say that for Tolkien fanatics it's never too much.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:01 am 
Master Pilot

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> Is it too much? I think we can safely say that for Tolkien fanatics it's never too much.

My feelings exactly.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:12 am 
Master Pilot

I agree - never enough. Tolkien is/was the master & all others are compared to him.

Farmer Giles & the Smith were truly enjoyable works.

Don't know why, but always had a tough read of the Silmarillion. I have managed to read it twice, but seemed a struggle both times... <i></i>