Peter Jackson to Produce Hobbit Films

Breaking News: Evangeline Lilly and Dame Edna to join Hobbit cast? What the!

J. R. R. Tolkien-The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion and others. Discuss the LOTR movies and the squabble to make The Hobbit

Moderator: Foamfollower1013

Peter Jackson to Produce Hobbit Films

Postby Duchess of Malfi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:03 pm

Peter Jackson to Produce `The Hobbit'
By JAKE COYLE,AP
Posted: 2007-12-18 11:46:50
NEW YORK (AP) - Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy "The Lord of the Rings."

Jackson, who directed "Rings," will serve as executive producer for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after "Rings," despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion - an enormous success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting "The Hobbit" 50/50, spokesmen for both studios said Tuesday.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

Late last year, acrimony between Jackson and New Line became very public, with the studio announcing they would move forward with "The Hobbit" without the Academy Award-winning director. Jackson sued New Line over the amount he was paid for "The Fellowship of the Ring," the first installment of the trilogy.

That litigation, the two sides announced Tuesday, has been settled.

Jackson, who shepherded Tolkien's Middle-earth saga to the screen in a series of three films, won a best-director Oscar for 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." The trilogy also includes 2002's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."

New Line, which is owned by Time Warner Inc., holds the rights to produce "The Hobbit," while MGM, which is owned by a consortium including Sony Corp. and Comcast Corp., has the right to distribute it.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
12/18/07 11:45 EST

Two Hobbit films??? :? :? :? :? :? Will they be splitting the book in half??? :? :? :? Why? It is not an overly long novel. :? :? :?
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Image Image Image
Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library
Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Postby FurlsFire » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:36 am

I think that the second one is going to be like an interlude into the Lord of the Rings...the years between the events in The Hobbit and LOTR.

I just wish PJ was directed too. He said he doesn't want to make the public wait any longer for it, and we would have too if he directed. I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't mind waiting if HE was going to direct! I mean...hey...we are SRD fans..we are USED to waiting!! :) :)
Love's Divine
FurlsFire
Master Pilot

Postby Duchess of Malfi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:08 am

Yes, I too wish he were directing. Maybe they want the actors who will be overlapping with the LOTR films to not visibly age in the meantime? :?

Image Image Image
Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library
Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Re: Peter Jackson to Produce Hobbit Films

Postby danlo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:12 pm

From Tolkien News.com
7/17/09

It has been reported by a number of media outlets, most notably the British newspaper The Telegraph, that "Dr. Who" star David Tennant has been tipped to play Bilbo Baggins in the forthcoming The Hobbit film.

Rumors have also pointed at Harry Potter's Daniel Radcliffe as a possibility. James McAvoy, whose name has been mentioned in connection with the role for more than a year, is also believed to still be in the running.

A casting announcement is expected from Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro next week at Comic-con in San Diego. Hopefully that will put all speculation to rest.

Comic-con, is either on right now or just ended so we need to keep up to date!
Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air.-
Jack Benny
danlo
The Timekeeper

Postby Moonwatcher » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:07 am

I'm all for David Tennant as Bilbo. Enjoyed his turn as the Doctor (and sad he's no longer playing him).
Moonwatcher
Master Pilot

Postby danlo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:27 pm

The latest in this long drawn out saga:
Entertainment Weekly wrote:July 23rd, 2010 by DiveTwin
As we all know from his elequent recent departure from The Hobbit production, Guillermo del Toro still has very strong feelings regarding the future of these films.

“As a fan, I hope those movies get made,” del Toro mentioned to an audience at ComicCon during a Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark presentation. He added “And I hope to God Peter Jackson directs them. They’re beautiful and they’re needed in the world.”

The situation at MGM is believed to be the main obstacle for getting The Hobbit off the ground. But the production could ramp up reasonably quickly with del Toro noting that 98 percent of the first movie is already designed along with approximately half of the second one.
Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air.-
Jack Benny
danlo
The Timekeeper

Postby Duchess of Malfi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:38 pm

so these are on or off? :?: obviously without the original director? :?:

Image Image Image
Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library
Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Postby danlo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:49 pm

Now it looks like Jackson is writing and directing-set for release (Part 1 is) December 2012
Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo-David Tennant and Brian Blessed are rumored to be in the cast but it's not clear who they will play. Leonard Nimoy is also rumored as the voice of Smaug. Of course Cate Blancette, Orlando Bloom, Ian McClellan and Andy Serkis all reprise their roles. Mikael Persbrandt plays Beorn and has a very unique and fierce face...
Jack Benny
danlo
The Timekeeper

Postby Menolly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:57 pm

danlo wrote:Mikael Persbrandt plays Beorn and has a very unique and fierce face...

This my family can not wait to see!
Pam Image
Pantheon Proselytizer
Revenance

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Menolly
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern

Postby danlo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:09 am

All the dwarves!!! :headbanger: Yeah baby!
Jack Benny
danlo
The Timekeeper

Postby Duchess of Malfi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 am

danlo wrote:Image
All the dwarves!!! :headbanger: Yeah baby!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Image Image Image
Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library
Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Postby Duchess of Malfi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:28 pm

Loved this film, by the way. :) whole chunks of dialog taken directly from the book. I especially loved the scene where the dwarves sang at Bag End and Bilbo fell asleep to their singing. 8)

Image Image Image
Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library
Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Postby MsMary » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 am

I enjoyed the film as well.

There were some sections that dragged a bit, but enjoyable overall. 8)
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
MsMary
Master Pilot

Return to Middle Earth